We have been so moved by the outcry in support of Black Lives Matter. Everyone who has woken up, listened up and are making it a priority to understand the true level of fear and bullshit that Black Americans endure on a daily basis, good work, but this is just the beginning.
At Jenni Earle, we have been listening, watching, reading and talking about how we can as a company, and more importantly as individuals, become better allies. Our core beliefs are all about the courage to show up exactly as you are. There is no greater beauty than someone standing comfortable in their skin, shoulders back, head high, sharing their unique spirit with the world. Each and every human deserves to feel that level of acceptance and freedom.
We believe we are all responsible for our own long look in the mirror. Ask yourself hard questions, pay attention to your assumptions, and uncover your biases. Then ACT to change. It is imperative.
We stand behind this movement and specifically the lives that need our help. Black lives.
Below are resources to get involved through donations, petitions and political action.
call or email your congressional representatives
Hello, my name is ______ and I am a constituent from the ____ District. I am contacting you because I want to know what you will do to protect black lives and prevent further instances of police brutality. I am calling to urge you to condemn police brutality, racial profiling, and the use of excessive force by police.
My name is [Your Name] and I am constituent from the [District Name] District. I am contacting you because I want to know what you will do to protect black lives and prevent further instances of police brutality. I am calling to urge you to condemn police brutality, racial profiling, and the use of excessive force by police.
- Equal Justice Initiative | Instagram | Facebook | Donate
- Southern Poverty Law Center | Instagram | Facebook | Donate
- Change.org | Justice for Breonna Taylor Petition | Justice for George Floyd Petition | Justice for Tony McDade | Justice for David McAtee | Justice for Ahmaud Arbery
- ACLU | Call for Justice for George Floyd | Protestors’ Rights | Actions Site | Donate
- Black Lives Matter | Instagram | Petition | Donate
- Antiracism Center | Instagram | Donate
- Color of Change | Active Campaigns | Donate
- Bail Project | Donate
- National Police Accountability Project | Donate
- Emergency Release Fund | Donate
support Black owned businesses
- America's Racial Contract is Showing, The Atlantic, May 8, 2020
- The Multiple Unfolding Crises for African-Americans in Minneapolis, The New Yorker, May 27, 2020
- These Books Can Help You Explain Racism and Protests to Your Kids, New York Times, June 2, 2020
- Social Change: Everyone Has a Role to Play (#UseYourPrivilege, #UnlearnRacism), Medium, May 31, 2020
- Several Antiracist Books Are Selling Out. Here's What Else Black Booksellers and Publishers Say You Should Read., Time, June 2, 2020
- Bryan Stevenson on the Frustration Behind the George Floyd Protests, The New Yorker, June 1, 2020
- About Race
- At Liberty
- Code Switch
- Pod Save the People
- Still Processing
- Seeing White
- The Stoop
- Black Girl Podcast
films to watch
- 13th (Netflix)
- American Son (Netflix)
- When They See Us (Netflix)
- If Beale Street Could Talk (Hulu)
- Fruitvale Station (Rent)
- I Am Not Your Negro (Rent)
- Just Mercy (Rent)
- Selma (Rent)
- The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution (Rent)
Now is the time to be brave for each other. If you have any ideas, resources or constructive information to share, reach out to us.
the jenni earle team
p.s. major shoutout to Everlane, for compiling a BLM resource guide that contributed significantly to this content.
photo credit: Liz Nemeth